Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 5: The Rachel Ray Show

Spontaneity has not been my friend as of recent... impromptu social gatherings--- random take out meals, business events that require business attire--to my dismay, money has been coming out of my ears left and right. The record indicating that I am in no position to let cash flow so freely---though it may appear that way, given that I'm single with no children---  Thankfully, in the great city of New York, there are fun free things to do-- today's adventure was attendance at the Rachel Ray show.

Happy snow day :) 

Thank goodness the office was closed--and yes... I was responsible  and checked to see if there were any pending or urgent issues to be taken care of. 

My daily journey to the workplace includes a cameo appearance in front of Center 44 where The Rachel Ray show is hosted.  Smiling faces are common along the east side of 44th street and can be agitating as attendees take up the entire sidewalk oblivious to those with further destinations.  Excitement can get the best of us--even I was pushed by someone attempting to make their way through the crowd of anxious hooky players, (Cough, Cough, Ehem @#*&%) excuse me would've sufficed.  Nevertheless I was readily awaiting for my chance at something fun and free to do.  After standing in the cold for approximately one hour, the show reached maximum capacity for the 1:15 PM taping.  C'est la vie--- we were wait-listed for the 3:30 show and so we had a lovely day-- breaking bread and sharing libations in the meantime.

Promptly-- we redeemed our tickets and then shuffled through a corridor suitable for an ice queen.  Our excitement still full throttle---even being herded into a room as cattle thereafter, excited to participate in the show until the hour of 5:00 rolled around and we're still standing around---now faded, jaded, hot, frustrated--- in need of fresh air and slightly claustrophobic.  OK, I suppose things happen--- extreme patience was on my team...but even that was wearing thin. The coolest part about her show was hopping on a set that rotated like a lazy susan where we would go from watching her make jalapeƱo waffles,  brownies and turkey sliders--and then made the shift from "tater tots to ta tas" where host of What Not to Wear's Clinton Kelly gave us tips and tricks on how to avoid double boob---and further to defy gravity.

After making us wait in a cramped room---a bunch of women and four or five men at that-- our consolation prize was a free ticket to come back to the show and be bumped to the front of the line.  Ha- after getting two granola bars and watching a few vignettes--- I think I will keep my vacation day and/or spend my next snow day in bed... that's just as fun (if not more) and free (:

No comments: