Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 2: Building momentum through restoration

At an early age, I fell in love with writing. It was a release I had never experienced, protecting my outlandish behavior and guarding the deepest of secrets. As the youngest and notably, unexpected child-- I grew up with two older siblings, a bunch of cousins and for the most part had to entertain myself as a result of none of the older kids wanting to play with me-- after all a five year gap does make a big difference in those critical developmental stages of life and so I've been told I was a bit bratty too.

At 13, and part of a youth group facilitated by my mother, I went to Old Bethpage Village Restoration, which "recreates the atmosphere of a pre-Civil War Long Island Village, illustrating agricultural, domestic and commercial activities through the actual practice of crafts and skills." What an interesting place...it was filled with livestock and artifacts and historical homes with historical furniture-- I am sure that as an adult I could appreciate it even more, but nevertheless as a child, I found it enjoyable. It was there, I purchased my very first journal. Large, blue, bound, a hard cover and decorated with shells-- it was mine.

Pouring emotions onto the pages, as an adolescent I can remember losing myself in thought--even mentally vomited 16 pages in one sitting... I was angry that day. I haven't had the heart to go back and read that specific text just yet, mostly because I'm still working on the little notes that I had to write to my third grade teacher Mrs. M in our progress book... she made my life miserable with those damn multiplication tables. Further she called me "chatterbox," because talking to Kevin P. who was assigned to the seat next to mine was way more interesting then her method of teaching-not to mention he ended up being my boyfriend in fifth grade all the way to the sixth grade (that's a big deal in the pre-teen years). The demise of our fifth grade infatuation was my first lesson in accepting bad advice and never to let a "friend's" opinion dictate your romantic future...this of course, is a completely different story.

After going through previous written works, I realized that I developed the habit of only resorting to writing when searching for that same release, rather than creating the time to have a moment to do something that I love. I reemphasize that I am excited about this 52 week challenge to permit this time. I believe that it will be uplifting and inspiring because whether or not you want to read it...I've got something to say. In addition, I have planned to take at least one writing course in this new year, the very same one I've been putting off for some time now, acceptable since I was in graduate school. Let's consider this the flywheel concept, building momentum to take necessary steps forward thereby accumulating visible results. Feel free to participate and monitor and share thoughts on whether I have grown or fallen off track throughout the course of 2011. This challenge will encourage further reading and investigation, a bit of research...creativity. Any topics you wish to share are welcome... Challenge me, I dare you. My goal is to be inspired by a given topic, not personal strife.

No comments: