Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week 13: Positively black.

I love my sisters and brothers of the African Disapora. 

I've been afforded the beautiful opportunity to be raised in a community where those who have exceled and achieved have more often than not turned around and encouraged me to have a high standard on life, black history, black achievements and the positive reinforcement of being proud to be me.  Further, the understanding that blackness comes in all different shades and to embrace it wholeheartedly...even further -to unify with my kin to achieve g r e a t n e s s.  These ideals set forth by some 5o + mentors that existed in my community and beyond have stayed with me throughout the course of time.  Many, belonging to the Mother's Club- a group founded 30 years ago, when a band of women came together to dispute the closing of a local elementary school--leading to the lifelong committment to community activism in and around the school disctrict since, "it takes a whole village, to raise a child." Their idea was that the children involved in the community needed to know that whatever direction they faced, there was always someone in their corner.  A beautiful mission and still very much alive today.

When I was little, I can remember taking field trips to the Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture, a trip to the Apollo Theatre on 125th street in Harlem ending with a meal at Sylvia's ... Going to see The Wiz on broadway, celebrating black history all throughout the year and even learning about Kwanzaa... (Habari Ghani).  Though not limited to these activities, growing up in a place where a network of postive people like this exists was certainly memorable and I'd say not to be taken for granted.  It was like growing up in one big old family. 

Annually, the Mother's Club celebrates women by hosting a women's day luncheon, today marking the 20th anniversary of this event.  The theme-appreciating the past in order to work positively and more effectively toward the future, similar to Sankofa, meaning "go back and take." Our keynote speaker,  Roslyn M. Brock, the current chairperson of the NAACP and might I add the youngest, offered positive messages in conjunction with Risco Mention-Lewis, founder of Love U University---challenging whether you know where you're going to... and not to be afraid to seek to achieve your dreams. I can admit having attended this event 19 out of 20 times, that in the awkward development years, I didn't always want to go but I can firmly say today, that I'm extremely fortunate to have grown up around these women. Of course, over the years, the group has evolved and mother's have moved on there is a new generation, but the mission is still one the same.  To be in this room with these beautiful women annually is inspiring and a privilege and the tally for today was a little over 400 women.

Other memorable moments include, annual picnics, theme parks... my lifelong friends and when I was finishing undergrad, the voicemail I got on my phone from one of the mother's in my darkest moment just called to say how proud she was... I cried--it meant a lot.  Not to seem too cliche, but I will attest that it really does "take a whole village to raise a child."

No comments: