Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 10: Bumming Around NYC

"Can you please spare some change so I can get something to eat please...?" exclaims a man that stands in the same spot daily,  rather well dressed if I might add and only slightly rough around the edges. As cold as it may sound, every day I pass him and only once looked him in his face.--after the tenth plea for help. You've got to admit that New York is full of some stone cold stunners-- but honestly in this regard I will say freely that I don't want to support this man. Whatever his position in life-- there is no job below him-- therfore as I hustle and bustle to go to my job--- I have to wonder why he doesn't do the same. Sweep a floor-- fix a sink - clean a toilet or sell some coffee. Pan handling should not be rewarded without visible effort. Waking up in the morning and standing at the entrance of the subway isn't enough.

I understand that there are significant trials and tribulations faced when dealing with government programs--- but there are food pantries, churches and other places to go and be fed. Maybe if he said-- can I please have some change so I can pay my rent--- I'm in danger of being evicted-- but to stand there daily and ask for money to eat--- even articulately and sometimes cop an attitude when nobody listens says... I know there are other alternatives but it's easier to just ask you-- so I will stand here and wait patiently till you give it to me. If I gave him $.70 a day he'd have $255 at the end of the year. That's a lot of money. I don't aim to seem as though I don't have a heart or care, but I just don't beleive him and further those commuting within the underground metro can attest that there will be at least two people asking for money on the way to destination x. How is anyone to differentiate between who to donate to versus keep enough change  in pocket to feed ms. Piggy bank later in the day.

No comments: