Thursday, January 6, 2011

Week 1: Be fly in July Weight Watchers Challenge

In December 2009, I finally had enough with my weight. I noticed myself expanding and it had been flagged for immediate action, imagine how that felt coming from loved ones. I made a pact with myself at an early age to love myself unconditionally-- so I didn't pout and complain about weight and really had no desire to be skinny... I just wanted to look better. I wanted my clothes to fit properly and I didn't want to feel as though I was struggling just to walk up a set of stairs.

Taking heed to these suggestions, I created a short term goal to lose as much weight as I could before my birthday and low and behold I shed 13 lbs in a little less than one month's time. YIPPEEEEEE :) By February, I shed 20 lbs and by April, I could fit into a pair of size 6 pants! I was just too cute for words. Of course losing weight at this speed is unhealthy and I knew exactly what I was doing... ATKINS. By June, the end of school was rearing its ugly head along with some unwanted visitors in my life and I hopped off the band wagon and started stuffing cupcakes down my throat, a food I hadn't particularly cared for in the past. Why now?

Admittedly, I didn't have the most healthy menu while on the fad diet, consuming crab legs with garlic and butter every other day, supplemented by Bubba Burgers for lunch and dinner--and lets not forget breakfast, the most important meal of the day... an egg and cheese omelet with deep fried bacon. NO wonder I was so successful on Atkins... I was pigging out more than ever before! It was absolutely a m a z i n g. When dining out I could still consume vodka and soda which wasn't too far off from my preferred drink--vodka tonic. The perfect diet! I could go on living life the way I was accustomed to and all I had to do was pee on a stick to measure the ketones in my body. Which only after the fact, I learned that ketones were really bad. In July, the weight gain was a little obvious when a friend came to visit from Miami and I was feeling a little bigger than I had the month prior and over the course of the next two months, it all came back, I gained 20 lbs. Nevertheless, I continue to love myself unconditionally--confident and happy.

The Year 2011 brings with it my sister's wedding to be held in one of the Dominican Republic's most luxurious resorts--- how exciting! There are a few of us preparing for the big day that want to look our absolute best because the woman we love is going to proclaim vows to the one she loves on the beach...barefoot. Today, I contacted the bride and another member of the wedding party to start a small support group for one another. My sister mentioned a little while back that she planned to use the Weight Watchers point system in order to shed a few lbs and while walking to work this morning, I decided to do the same. It got me thinking that all of the women that are going to the wedding could hop on board this wonderful opportunity to bond together and have a shared celebration. Thus creating the Be Fly in July Weight Watchers challenge... and umm- have you seen Jennifer Hudson lately? That is motivation enough. I am so happy for her. I hope that this challenge will come to fruition and I genuinely believe it will bring us girls together in La Republica Dominicana, not to mention bring our swag to a whole new level as the bridal party et al. So...why not? I'm for it.

No comments: